Come join us for our annual Winter Carnival book sale on Saturday, February 11 from 11am to 4pm. Hundreds of books at low, low prices: HB $2, PB $1; children’s books 50¢! All fiction half price. We also have lots of old MTU yearbooks for sale at a special price of $1 each!
Fall trial book sale a great success
As we realized that we had a long time between book sales, when we didn’t do anything in the fall, and two of them in the spring, we decided to try a one day sale in the library this fall.
Friday, October 7 was also the day of an all-campus “First Friday” social that also happened to be sponsored by library so we set up from 10 to 4 in the lobby. All in all, it was a great success, so expect more of the same each fall.
Thanks to always for all out volunteers, customers, and especially the library (and for taking cards at the service desk, which facilitated about 1/3 of the sales!).
Donate your Books to FMTL
We need books!
Books, CD’s, DVDs, whatever*! Make room for new books on your shelves by donating your old books to the Friends book sale. All proceeds go to help the Michigan Tech Van Pelt and Opie Library.
*Alas, there are things we do not take:
- old, tattered, yellowed, marked up or damaged books
- marked up lab manuals or instructor’s class guides
- conference proceedings, magazines, journals, and similar things
- outdated almanacs, travel guides, computer books and manuals
- catalogs, telephone books, equipment instruction manuals
- general encyclopedias or similar sets (unless of high quality/rarity or specialty types [e.g., a 3-vol. Enclylopedia of WWII Aircraft])
- LP records, VHS tapes, or audio tapes (cassette/8-track/R2R)
If you have items that are deeply vintage (>50 years old), please contact us.
If you have only a few book sale donations, you may drop them off in the shiny new donation box located in the Library vestibule (between the glass doors to the left as you enter).
If you have a box or bag of books, you may unload them at the Library loading dock. Call a Library staff member at the Service Desk at 906-487-2508 to have someone meet you at the back door to help.
If you need help getting your book sale donation books to the Library and would like someone to come to your house to pick them up, call Dana Richter at 906-482-3361 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome to 2022
We hope that 2022 finds you well and prospering. Just a small update on our plans for the year:
- At the moment, there will likely be a minimal presence of FMTL during Winter Carnival. You may know that in years past we had a really hoping book sale and free hot chocolate in the library on Saturday (which this year is 12 Feb.). Even before omicron reared up (though it may well have burned itself out by Feb.), we had decided to follow last year’s procedure of a couple smaller book carts and to forego the hot chocolate and cookie table. We’ll let you know here if things change significantly. But as far as we know, the library should be open for you to warm up!
- The spring book sale is still Thursday and Friday, March 31 and April 1 in the MUB. Again, we will update as things evolve this winter, but we hope to see you there!
2020 Friends book sale is cancelled/postponed
Due to Michigan Tech suspending all in-person classes from now until April 17 and MTU Events asking all event planners to seriously reconsider holding their events virtually (not an option for a book sale) or cancelling, it has been decided to cancel the friends of the Library book sale scheduled for April 2-3, at least for now. As things evolve, we will look into holding it sometime in late or April or May, or even in the fall.
We wish you all good health and good reading in this time of social distancing.
Winter Carnival 2020 Book Sale SAT. FEB. 8, 11-4
2019 Book Sale a great success
The 2019 book sale was a great success this last Thursday and Friday, netting over $3000 for the library. Thanks to all out volunteers who helped stet up and sort books on to the tables on Thursday afternoon and especially to those who helped break down what was left at the end of the day on Friday. Sales were up over last year and it was great to see so many students throughout the day on Friday.
2019 Friends sale is Thursday and Friday April 4-5
Friends of the Michigan Tech Library Book Sale April 4th and 5th
The Friends Annual Used Book Sale is scheduled for Thursday, April 4th and Friday, April 5th, 2019 in the Memorial Union Ballroom on Michigan Tech’s campus. On Thursday,Members shop with first choice from 5 to 7 p.m. (memberships available at the door are $20 and up; students and seniors only $15). On Friday, the sale continues to the general public from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. with a new selection of withdrawn books. The $5 bag sale is from 4 to 5 p.m.
Free parking in all University lots after 4:00 PM
The book sale uses standardized pricing for many books, with hardback books priced at $2 and quality paperback books for $1. Mass market paperbacks (the ones that fit in your back pocket) are a bargain at 50 cents. Antique or special sets are priced separately.
Have Books to Donate?
- If you have only a few book sale donations, you may drop them off in the box located in the Library vestibule.
- If you have a box or bag of books, you may unload them at the Library loading dock. Call 487-2508 to have someone meet you at the back door to help.
- If you need help getting your book sale donation books to the Library and would like someone to come to your house to pick them up, call Dana Richter at 906-482-3361 or e-mail email@example.com.
Winter Carnival Book Sale a great success
Through the hard work of our volunteers and the interest by the public, the FMTL 2018 Winter book sale raised nearly $800 for the library, even when the sale was rather quiet form 1-2pm as everyone was up by the SDC breaking a Guinness world record!! (unofficially at this moment, but we’re going to do it!)
Thanks to all who came out and found great books at great prices. Don’t forget our annual sale on 6-7 April!